There have been so many theories written regarding the cause of fibromyalgia from gluten intolerance, autoimmune disease, nerve damages to trauma. Yet one of the more unusual of all theories is an infection known as candidiasis.
What Is Candidiasis?
Candida refers to the yeast that lives in our mouth, gut and genitals. Under normal circumstances, it will not cause any problems to your health. However, there are instances where the yeast could over multiply and eventually lead to an infection. This infection is known as candidiasis or yeast infection.
Candidiasis is not really dangerous. Its symptoms are limited to white or yellow sores in the mouth and cracking of lips. They can sometimes be painful, especially when you swallow. Candidiasis in the genitals are more commonly known as vaginal yeast infection. Woman are highly susceptible to yeast infection. In fact, it is estimated that 3 out of 4 women would suffer from this infection at one point in their life.
Some experts believe that chronic candidiasis can cause pain and symptoms similar to fibromyalgia such as:
- brain fog
- pain in the eye, blur vision, light sensitivity
- muscle weakness and spasm
- depression, anxiety
The Link Between Fibromyalgia and Candidiasis
There is no scientific evidence to suggests that yeast infection is the root cause of fibromyalgia. However, there has been a clear link between fibromyalgia and yeast infection. Experts believe that fibro patients are more likely to suffer from yeast infections which worsens fibromyalgia symptoms.
The possible explanations on the link between the two is that:
- fibro patients have weak immune systems, therefore, their body is less capable of preventing the overgrowth of yeast.
- most fibromyalgia patients tend to over consume sugar and carbohydrates to increase their energy levels. A diet high in sugar and carbohydrates can also lead to overgrowth of yeast.
- The use of certain medications such as antibiotics and corticosteroids could upset the balance of gut bacteria that could lead to the growth of yeast and thus, will lead to more infections.
Candida is believed to be an underlying condition in many illnesses such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and Crohn’s disease. Some doctors have said that it is not unusual for some people to blame candida as causing the symptoms of fibromyalgia since a lot of people have blamed fungus for a wide range of different conditions. However, the reality is that it is not really the main cause of fibromyalgia.
Nonetheless, yeast infection is definitely not a condition that you wanted to put up with especially if you are also battling with fibromyalgia. If you notice that you are suffering from yeast infections frequently, consult a doctor immediately.