Benzodiazepines also help to treat insomnia, which is another symptom of fibromyalgia. The tranquilizing effect of the medication help to improve your sleep and alleviate fatigue.
In addition, Benzodiazepines help treat other specific sleep disorders. Studies are still ongoing to fully understand the use of Benzodiazepines in managing pain. A few of these medicines such as the Lorazepam and Clonazepam have been shown to help with chronic pain, including fibromyalgia.
However, Benzodiazepines is a controversial medication due to its side effects. Hence, it is best to discuss with your doctor before you start on using this medication in your fibromyalgia treatment. Here are some of the side effects and precautions that you should take note:
- long term usage can cause reliance and resistance
- may affect coordination
- may cause amnesia
- cause sleepiness and lost of concentration
- should not be used when patient needs to carry out task which requires focus e.g. driving
- pregnant women should not use the drug as it may cause birth defects
- can lead to hostile and aggressive behavior